Sunday, July 20, 2008

Ditie, Ditie Zhan, Ditie Zhan Zai Nar



Today is Sunday, so there is not much happening in preparation for the trip. One of the things that concerns me is how to get around Beijing in a cheap, efficient, and safe manner. Enter the Ditie, which in English means Subway; ditie zhan means subway stop. Subways are marked with a D with a circle around them.

Based on the photographs I have encountered, it appears that there are English translations on at least some of the stops. Luckily Paul has been scrutinizing all the subway maps and projecting the routes we will take when we get there.

There are a lot of sites out there that provide information on the subway. The Beijing Vistor website has a lot of great information and listed the following translations that may come in handy:
Where is the subway station?
Ditie zhan zai nar? (dee-tyeh jahn dzai nar?)
I want to buy one ticket.
Wo xiang mai yi zhang piao. (wor hsyahng mai ee-jahng pyow)
I don't have any change.
Wo meiyou lingqian. (wor may yoh ling chyen)
Do I have to change (lines)?
Wo you huan che ma? (wor yow hwahn chur mah?)

But as much as I read up on the subway in advance, I am sure that I will have troubles negotiating it at first. I will just make sure I keep my wits and sense of humour about me, and everything should be okay.

No comments: