Thursday, November 20, 2008

Where does your food come from?

I grew up on a farm in rural Ontario. However, somewhere in the midst of moving to a city for school and moving to the big city for a man, I became officially "citified". I make no apologies for it.

When I first arrived at the Royal Winter Fair on Saturday, I saw a woman standing in line for tickets who was wearing a button that said "Farmers feed cities." I stared at the button and blinked a couple of times. Then I thought to myself 'who does this woman think she is coming here to Toronto wearing her little button of protest against city folk'. I was going to say something to her to the effect of "if you don't like the city, don't come here." But I was just too tired, and figured it wasn't worth the energy to start an argument.

I was talking with my brother and told the tale of the protester who had offended me. He stared at me like I was from Mars. I asked him why.
Anson: you really ought to read the newspaper or turn on your television once in a while
Me: Oh, the media is too depressing. It's all about death and destruction. Besides, what does that have to do with the girl who was protesting?
Anson: She wasn't protesting. It is an initiative put on by Foodland Ontario.

So, he went on to explain to me that Farmers Feed Cities is a whole campaign to show people in the city that their food does not just come from the supermarket - it is actually from a farm. It is not in the least a protest against city folk. The whole purpose is to bring city people and farmers closer together.

Now that he explained to me the purpose behind it, I think it's a pretty cool initiative! I went to the website to check it out, and there is some pretty neat stuff on there like a trivia game, a section where you can meet the farm family of the month, and a section where you can send your own personal thank you e-mail to farmers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lori, you kill me! And I'm so glad you understand that Farmers Feed Cities. I'm sitting here totally LingOL

Anonymous said...

P.S. How's running? :-)